Salt Rock Hotel, Salt Rock,
Dolphin Coast, Durban,
9th South African Young
13, 14 & 15 September 2017
The 9th South African Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference “#Geotech #Innovate” is intended to establish a network forum and opportunity for young geotechnical engineers to better acquaint themselves with the industry and products available. This takes place in an environment where all presenters and most of the delegates are under the age of 35. The conference is held every three years and aims to provide delegates with the opportunity to develop their writing skills and produce a technical paper which will be published in the conference proceedings. In addition, presenters can exercise presentation skills in front of a more forgiving audience and delegates attending can all learn from like-minded peers.
Geotechnical practitioners under the age of 35 in the mining and civil construction industry. More experienced geotechnical practitioners are encouraged to motivate YGEs to attend the conference and explain the advantages of presenting their work at the conference.
Gavin has significant experience in the Structural, Geotechnical and Marine fields. Over the course of his professional career he was involved in the design of both deep and shallow foundations, marine structures, lateral support systems, slope stabilisation and soil improvement. Gavin is best know as being Keller Franki’s recently retired technical director which now consults for the company as well as his contribution to the third and fourth editions of the the Franki Blue Book. These activities have incorporated the design and construction of several large projects involving all aspects of geotechnical engineering.
- The settlement performance of a raft supporting a 27-storey hotel on estuarine deposits in Durban, Journal of the South African Institute of Civil Engineers, October 1998.
- The design, construction and behaviour of permanently cased piles at Sua Pan, Botswana, 10th African Regional Conference, September 1991.
- The performance of piled foundations supporting a large hotel on estuarine deposits in Durban, 7th International Conference and Exhibition on Piling and Deep Foundations, Vienna 1998.
- The design and construction of a dymanic soil replacement foundation in Mauritius, 12th African Regional Conference, October 1999.
- A Guide to Practical Geotechnical Engineering in Southern Africa: Third Edition, 1995
- and Fourth Edition, 2008.
- J.E. Jennings Award 1988 for Best Technical Publication of the Year 1997-1998.
- Basil Read Award 1998 for Outstanding Contribution to the Construction Industry.
- Geotechnical Gold Medal 2003 for outstanding contribution to the geotechnical industry
Who Should Attend?
Geotechnical practitioners under the age of 35 in the mining and civil construction industry.More experienced geotechnical practitionersare encouraged to motivate YGEs to attendthe conference and explain the advantages ofpresenting their work at the conference.
- Registrations open – January 2017
- Acceptance of abstracts for paper submissions – first week of March 2017
- Submission of draft papers – 1 May 2017
- Corrected papers back to authors – 31 May 2017
- Print-ready papers in – 30 June 2017
Due to unforeseen health reasons, Malcolm Jaros had to withdraw as the godfather for the conference. The SAYGE committee wishes him a speedy recovery.
Conference Godfather – Gavin P. Byrne
Frans van der Merwe (SMEC SA) – Chairman
Daniel Avutia (Enel Green Power)
Thomas O’Brien (ARQ Consulting Engineers)
Drian Roos (Aurecon)
Gabi Wojtowitz (Aurecon)
Tuesday, 12 September 2017
Arrive at venue
Dinner at hotel (booking required)
Wednesday, 13 September 2017 Breakfast at venue
Thursday, 14 September 2017
Breakfast at venue
Conference social function
Friday, 15 September 2017
Breakfast at venue (no lunch)
Departure in the afternoon
Sponsorship, Advertising and Exhibition Options:
There are various sponsorship, advertising and exhibition options for the YGE conference.
For the list of options, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you wish to book accommodation at Salt Rock Hotel, kindly indicate on the registration form under accommodation. If you have any questions, please contact the conference secretariat.